Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Negotiating: The Golden Rule of Negotiating

Hello All:

I am asked almost on a daily basis if I could sum up in one rule the key to successful negotiating. Believe it or not it isn't some sort of code or algebra equation that you must figure out, or something that will take you years of negotiating experience to access.

Here it is: Rule 1
" Ask for everything, expect nothing, and you will be surprised what you will get!"

What's the worse they can say "No" right? Many people miss out on great deals because they are somehow afraid to ask for concessions or things.
I'll give you an example. When I was on a vacation with my family at Universal Studios, I went to guest services and asked if they would comp my family with "Fast Passes" for the rides at their theme park- guess what? They said YES!
You see, fast passes are used to get you past all the people waiting in line and automatically gets you to the front of the line without the wait. Universal not only charges you for admittance into the park, but if you want those valuable "Fast Passes" you have to pay another $20.00 per person! That would have translated to $120.00 extra for my family of 6 ! But since I was willing to ask for the comp, I got it for FREE!

So go out there and start asking! You will be surprised what you will receive.

Be well,

James A. Gage

No comments: