Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Negotiating Tips: Can You Negotiate PropertyTaxes

Hello All:

I received an e-mail this week asking me if I truly believed that everything is negotiable? He further inquired if I did believe that how he could negotiate his property taxes on his home?

If you have followed any of my newsletter or blog articles you know that my answer is going to be a resounding YES on the negotiating question, but do you know what I am going to say about negotiating property taxes?

I won't keep you in suspense any longer...

Everything is negotiable, even property taxes! I have attached a recent e-mail I sent to my real estate newsletter subscribers on tat very topic.

Hope this helps.
____________________________________________________________________


Hello All :

Just a quick note to remind you that in most states your last day to file for a real estate abatement on property taxes is January 31, 2009. You can fill out these requests for abatement for both residential and investment properties on a yearly basis.

For those of you that don't know what I am talking about, I'll recap briefly the process. First, you call your town or city assessors office and ask for an "Abatement” form for property taxes, and of course ask about the time frame to file. Next you fill in all the requested information, along with making a compelling statement on why they, the assessor’s board, should reduce the assessment on your property. Then, file it with the right governmental office and await their reply.

It has been my experience that most organizations will at least decrease your assessment, by at least a few dollars for taking time to apply to the process, while others will grant you a substantial reduction.

Remember, you have not, because you ask not !

Be well,

James Gage

http://www.JGage.com



No comments: